Thursday, July 30, 2009

Vegetable Gardens and a Tree Swings


the vegetable garden:
I don't think I could eat for another month! Today I went to my grandparents house. We ate fresh vegetables picked straight from their garden (the decision to go down there was on the spur of the moment, so I didn't get a chance to grab my camera. If I had thought fast enough, I would have grabbed it and taken pictures of the garden to share with you guys..dang it.) We had black-eyed peas, corn, green beans, okra, tomatoes, and squash; the perfect southern meal. It was savory, delicious, heavenly. I enjoyed myself, because I knew it would be a while before getting to eat something so deliciously home-cooked once I got back to Savannah.

Oh yes. I can't forget., for desert, we had old-fashioned blackberry cobbler. The blackberries were picked as well right outside from the vine! I remembered to save room for it. My mouth waters thinking about how wonderful it was. Are your mouths watering yet? After we ate, my granddad wanted me to take some fresh veggies home (no hesitation there), so we went out back to the garden and picked corn, tomatoes, and peas. I can't wait to cook them! He also gave me some home-made blackberry jam he and my grandmother just made. I had a little taste-it was perfect. (Thank you both so much! I love you!)

With this, I've always wanted to have my own little garden. My goal is to eventually have one after I am settled in my own home in the future. I think gardens are wonderful and a perfectly sustainable way to live. No preservatives or pesticides, and its like your own little market in your backyard! I can't wait. Oh yes, and I found a website about organic vegetable gardening that is very informative if you want to start creating your own!


My Grandparents garden looks a little something like this one, plus corn.
Home-grown tomatoes are so sweet and juicy!



the tree swing:
Another thing that I've always wanted growning up is a tree swing. On the way back from my grandparent's house, I saw the perfect tree for a swing. I thought to myself, "If only we had had that tree in our back yard." Living in town, we don't really have wide open spaces like in the country where my grandparents live.

I got to swing on one at a family reunion we had down by a creek when I was around 7 or 8 years old. The location is vivid, but I definitely remember the swing. It was plain and simple. Some rope and part of a 2x4. You could walk the swing up a huge hill, settle yourself, and then drop. Oh, it was so fun, and I could swing so high. I loved how free I felt on the swing. The perfect technique is leaning back with your head tilted back as well. Then you close your eyes and imagine yourself flying as the breeze hits your face from the momentum. That was the best swing I'd ever been on. Oh, to find another.


{Click images for image source}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...